Friday, May 15, 2009

All Praise The Trek!

Essay




What gratification I received today... I saw the new Star Trek movie!

Err... actually, although I loved the movie, that wasn't the gratification I speak of. No, what made me particularly happy was a scene in the movie. Can you guess which one?

...

I'm waiting...

...

No guesses? Okay, I'll tell you. The scene where a young Spock is being harassed by his peers in school. What made me so happy about that scene was the wider view of the Vulcan school... did you happen to notice? It looked like a refrigerator egg tray, a large flat floor with perfect half circle divots cleaved out in regular intervals, and there was a child sitting down in the middle of each one. Rapidly adjusting computer graphics were displayed on the curved wall all around the students...

It was a Pod School! In my post 'The First Major Step...' I postulated that the first step towards a Perfect World scenario would be the introduction of personalized education-- one room, one student, taught by computer.

It's nice to know that the Vulcans believe I am on the right track... theirs are the most logical of minds, after all.



Copyright 2009 Bruce Ian Friedman

No comments:

Post a Comment